5/9/11

Drunken musings of a street fighter: Basics of street defense learning to punch

Step one: What to look for in a fight

what street fighters may look like
I am going to try to teach you how to punch within a street setting. First of all you have to be able to know when your opponent is about to strike. Anyone who has not done any martial arts will instinctually go for a power punch. By this I mean they will use their right hand to punch if they are right handed. The thing about doing a power punch at the start of a fight is that you can see them coming a mile away if you know what to look for. The primary mistake they will make is raise their elbow up. This is a big taboo in punching unless you are throwing a hook but I am not going to get into that in this post. The thing about raising your elbow is that you slow down your punches and also let your opponent see that they are coming. The correct way to throw a punch is to keep your elbows in tight and straight. The next big mistake people make that you should look out for is that they over extend themselves or even step with their punch. If the person you are fighting is drunk they are nine times out of ten going to do this. Now that you know the signs to look for let’s give you the correct method of fighting back.


Step two: The jab

Alright so your opponent is throwing a big looping overhand right as we described above WHAT TO DO!? You can either A) Take the hit to your face and wake up to find your girl friend has left with the other guy. B) Turn around and run far away and never return to the town. C) Fight back. If you have chosen C keep reading. The first step in fighting back will be the jab. For those of you unfamiliar with the jab it is punching with your front non power hand usually being your left if you are right handed. You want to be in a stance with your feet being about shoulder length apart. left foot forward pointing at a 1 o’clock angle and your right foot should be facing more at 3 o’clock angle towards your right. Next you want to keep your elbows in tight almost to your chest and you hands almost touching your face. To throw the jab you simply punch out with your left hand keeping your elbows in. You can practice this next to a wall to make sure your elbows are in and your punches are straight. Keep your hand unclenched until the moment you are about to hit your opponent. This will add some speed to your punch. You want to try to hit with your top two knuckles so you don’t hurt your hand. With this punch I would try to aim for the jaw or throat to stun your opponent and prevent them from punching you with their right. If you have done this step correctly your punch will hit them first since it is traveling a much shorter distance.

Step three: The straight right

So you have your opponent stunned and its time to finish him. You need to now use your power hand most likely being your right hand. As you are bring your left hand back from your jab use this momentum to throw your right. You want to turn your back hip forward as you throw this punch so all of your weight goes through. Try and hit your opponents chin once more for this finishing blow. If you practice this enough before getting into a actual fight then you should be standing over a unconscious body soon enough.

Step 4: What to do after?

Just like before you can always do a number of things because the choices you make in life are yours like these options. 1 check their wallet if no one is around? 2 go back to partying if you are at a party? 3 burst into tears and yell at the body “I TOLD YOU NOT TO MESS WITH ME!” 4 or just leave the scene of the crime. I would go with 4 if I were you personally to stay away from any legal action.

Tips and tricks of the drunken punching

So you might be thinking after reading this “I thought you were a drunken street fighter. So what do I do if drunk?” Well calm down there I have some simple tips for you. There are many pros and cons of being drunk in a fight but in my opinion a lot more pros then cons if you know what you’re doing. I mean there is even a martial art called “Drunken Boxing.” The pros of being drunk in a fight are it helps loosen you up and the looser you are the quicker you are. If you are all tense and ridged like a robot your attacks will be slow and not do that much damage. Another attribute in favor of being drunk is that you may feel less pain and feel more mentally confident in yourself. The main con of drinking and fighting is that if you have drunken to much you will be sloppy and stumble to much and not have controlled movements. You might even fall over when you throw your right straight punch. So always be careful in how much you drink and where you are. That’s all I am going to muse on for tonight. Until my next drunken writing keep training and reading.

77 comments:

  1. good tips. but itd be smarter to avoid it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ow, a punch in the throat doesn't seem too appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I go for the old ignore and walk away technique, but this would work too if it came down to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that you included the crying option hahah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it. I'm gonna go find someone to practice on right now...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:17

    great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. punch them in the throat and kick dirt in ther eyes when they are down. lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. bitch slap picture!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:43

    im not much of fights, buts good to learn about self defense, thanks for the tips

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty interesting post. Its all about a combo ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty nice stuff to know, dude. I hope I'll never need to use this, but if I do, the knowledge will be there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I already put into practice

    ReplyDelete
  13. lol this was a very useful post. I've never had a fight, but once when I was walking home from the pub drunk I was mugged and now every time I walk back from the pub I fantasise about how things would go differently if it ever happened again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post lol.
    I like the advice of using the jab, it always catches people off guard and makes them shut their eyes.
    If they're drunk and they shut their eyes they may as well be blind because they'll lose about 10 seconds of blurred vision.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous13:55

    I like these tips. I've never experienced fighting, but it could come handy some day :P I have a similar text on my computer about fighting when someone has knife.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My friends and I used to always box. Nose shots are the best, eyes water up and the pain is intense.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good advice, but I'm going to stick with my strategy of running like a girl for now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Haha, this was informative yet funny... not sure why funny but still! :D

    Only ever been in 1 drunken fight, I just winded the guy (Pure luck) then hit him blank in the nose. Although. i'm sure that technique was completely out he window on that haha.

    Awesome post! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Like the post! keep it up :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. I will always try to first calm them down and if that does not work and it actually comes down to it, I will probably use your advice. It's always good to know things like these.

    ReplyDelete
  21. In step 4 I think I would go with the crying, something like "why god why".

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good Tips Keep up the posts

    ReplyDelete
  23. You could always learn Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, then you can learn to use people's willingness to throw a punch against them

    ReplyDelete
  24. great tips! thanks for sharing and i also played SF2 alot :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. When I read this, all I could think about was that drunken from Yes Man.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nice reading, although I'm not too sure about the drunken part...

    ReplyDelete
  27. ahahaha amazing post! i'm glad i'm a pacific drunk.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Haha great post, always good to know how to defend yourself

    ReplyDelete
  29. Jabs are typically far more effective than powershots, In video games and in life,

    Only ever been in one fight in my life, and it was three guys attacking me, I got to throw a single blow, and back then I made the mistake you mentioned went for power over incapacitation them. If I could go back in time and show myself this post. I would xD

    ReplyDelete
  30. When in doubt, rely on street fighter. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Step 1: Keep your hands up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Anonymous16:14

    Really well written, man! Enjoyed it immensely :> Now i'll be a tad bit more sure of myself if I ever happen to get into a fight - or go outside.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Exactly, it's really helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Is it me or is the comment text white and i cant see it?

    ReplyDelete
  35. You should detail what happens if your power punch doesn't knock them out or at least down.

    ReplyDelete
  36. love the tips, when are you gonna go into details with falcon punch though?

    ReplyDelete
  37. Good tips for peeps in the ghetto (muaw). Although cant a punch to the throat easily be lethal?

    ReplyDelete
  38. Isn't 1 then 4 (in the post fight suggestions) making the situation worse? I'd vote 3, then you can plea self-defense.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Lol. Hope I don't get into a fight. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  40. This is fantastic for new Street Fighter players.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Excellent advice. I recommend all readers to take heed

    ReplyDelete
  42. learnede from my primary school years better to avoid em altogether.

    ReplyDelete
  43. This is valuable, but I pray I never have to use it...

    ReplyDelete
  44. mehh just get a ccw and you will never have to street fight. If I'm ever attacked I will consider my life to be in danger and deadly force would be warranted.

    ReplyDelete
  45. old school right thurr lol

    ReplyDelete
  46. streetfighter back in the day was awesome

    ReplyDelete
  47. Very useful info, I hope I never need to apply those advices though :P

    ReplyDelete
  48. I haven't been in a fight in over 10 years. You never know when your advice may come in handy though! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Can't a punch in the throat be life threatening?

    ReplyDelete
  50. good advice from the boxing perspective, il have to keep it in mind next time a lover's angry boyfriend comes after my blood :P

    on a more serious note, do you have any tips from the tai chi perspective of defending in this circumstance?

    ReplyDelete
  51. I definitely have to to remember some of this stuff if I ever get in a brawl lol.

    ReplyDelete
  52. If i do these will i be a real street fighter?

    ReplyDelete
  53. i'll try to remember this next time i am drunk

    ReplyDelete
  54. thanks for the tips, i love to fight when im drunk but i usually get my ass kicked :p

    ReplyDelete
  55. Kicking in a street fight is like enabling cheat mode, they usually never see it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  56. I'll try to keep this in mind when I am drunk and fighting. actually it might be a good idea to make this long post into cue cards and print them out.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Anonymous05:08

    Remembering all this stuff in a fight is pretty hard for untrained people (like me)

    ReplyDelete
  58. Unfortunately... useful information

    ReplyDelete
  59. KICK IN THE BALLS

    ReplyDelete
  60. I'd never fight anyone of those guys in the picture they look like super heroes! lol following sir! :)

    ReplyDelete
  61. great tip about the elbows

    ReplyDelete
  62. ...I imagined my mom with a power barr over her head because of this. My mind is f***ed.

    ReplyDelete
  63. I learned to punch by playing mike tyson's punch out. Nothing like jumping and throwing a punch!

    ReplyDelete
  64. Anonymous10:40

    I'm pretty much a pacifist, but good to know, just in case, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  65. your first picture and caption made me LOL so hard

    ReplyDelete
  66. down, kick, kick, kick, kick, THAT'S FREAKING ANNOYING.

    ReplyDelete
  67. nice post :)
    just hit the solar plexus once with the right angel and your opponent will get down like a girl =p

    ReplyDelete
  68. To put it frankly...I'm kind of weak so great post if I ever get myself into a fight. =p

    ReplyDelete